Saturday, 3 November 2012

Autumn: Horror in the East

I think this is going to be a short post...we'll see where it goes.

I went to my first convention today...my first convention of any kind - this one happened to be a horror convention.

As I was nervous as hell, Mrs S. came along to hold my hand (and buy me a steadier on the way ;). We stopped in a pub on the A12 called the Foxburrow. It wasn't shit, it wasn't great...just standard fare all the way. The Guinness was great, though.

Mrs S. and I dawdled somewhat on the way, but we found it OK - drove past the first time because we expected the venue to be a little more imposing. It was in a small business centre on a school's grounds...not the most impressive building, but as it turned out, for a nervous writer like me, it was just about perfect. It was small, but because it was small it was intimate.

I got to meet Adam and Zoe-Ray Millard, the family team behind one of my publishers - 'Crowded Quarantine Press'. They were absolutely charmers, and looked after myself and Mrs S. a treat. So, a big thank you to them.

We met Rich Hawkins and his lady friend, too - he's an up-and-coming writer in the CQP stable, too, along with me. And...here comes the list of people I stalked :)

Conrad Williams - author of One. It's the only book of his I've read, but it was a cracker.
Joseph D'Lacey - author of MEAT. Only book of his I've read, too, and that was a doozy.
David Moody, Iain McKinnon, Sean Page...to name but a few.

There were four panels (I think!) - Zombies, the Apocalypse, What is Horror? and the last on the publishing industry. I really enjoyed all four - I didn't think I would, to be honest, but they were great fun, and the panelists were excellent, without exception.

So, turns out this was a medium-sized post...I'm conscious of star-struck rambling, so, here's a picture.

Love you - I'm off!