Tuesday, 10 February 2015

State of the Union Address. Not really. It's a blog.


First up, that there's my latest book - Masters of Blood and Bone. Some early reviews are in, so I'm sharing a couple here just in case someone want to buy it and, at a remove, fund my next beer run...

'Easily my favorite book of the year [...] From the very first words on the page this book reminded me of Neil Gaiman's writing (my favorite author). As I continued through, I realized it's the perfect respite for anyone suffering American Gods hangover (since there still isn't another book in what Gaiman has always referred to as a series).' - tsundokubooks

'“Masters of Blood and Bone” combines the quirkiness of Dean Koontz’s Odd Thomas series with the hardcore mythology of Clive Barker to create an adventure that is both entertaining and terrifying. This is horror adventure at its finest. Holland and Ank must battle evil across a world that is at times sublime, hilarious, and terrifying. Saunders gives the reader characters that are both larger-than-life yet also supremely human so that the reader is given a rare journey through the end of the world in a fantastic yet accessible way that turns the reader into a participant rather than an observer.' - Examiner.com

'Craig Saunders has taken the detective genre, by way of urban paranormal noir, and run it through the blender with a strong measure of high fantasy, and written with a deft, contemplative style ripe with intense imagery. [...] Saunders has a terrific writing voice, and he’s able to blend these disparate genres seamlessly. [...] Holland is a great protagonist and his daughter is a wonderful character filled with an agency of her own. Ank is a real spit-fire and a far cry from the damsel in distress, despite being trapped in a rather peculiar and threatening situation. In short, I found Masters of Blood and Bone to be a perfect read, and I loved every page of it. There’s just so much literary panache and noir-cool that it’s utterly impossible for me to not fall in love with this book. [...] Highly recommended. - Michael Patrick Hicks, author of Convergence.

Now Masters Of Blood and Bone is one of those books that you can just sit back and read, almost in awe and appreciation of a major talent. First off the style of writing keeps you pinned to every page, there's a perpetual darkness to the writing but the thing that stood out most for me was the story and the scope of ideas on show. - Paul Read or Dead

Finally, two I'm very happy about, because they're both authors I really like.

'All the imagination of a Clive Barker novel in a succinct, easy-to-read package. All fun. Zero filler. Craig Saunders has done it again. Holland and Ank are two of the coolest, most lovable characters I've read. These two alone make the book hard as shit to put down. Add in the crazy, over-the-top fantasy/wizardry/mythology plot and you're bound to read this novel in a single sitting. The chapters are uber short, and Saunders's writing it lightning fast.' - Edward Lorn, Author of Bay's End and Dastardly Bastards.

'There's this phrase I've seen in blurbs on old King paperbacks that I've always wondered about: "compulsively readable." I've never been sure what that phrase means, but I want to use it now...Masters of Blood and Bone by Craig Saunders is compulsively readable. Saunder's writing style is snappy and fluid. It is fast-paced and violent, yet there's also depth. Great storytelling and characters.' - Keith Deininger, Author of Marrow's Pit and The Harrow.

***

Second up, you might have noticed I've redesigned the blog...kind of. It's a work-in-progress, and I'm hoping/vaguely thinking that it might be time to set up a real website. Not sure yet if it would be an improvement, especially as blogger now allows me to upload enough pages to put up samples of all my novellas/novellas on Amazon (I haven't included anthologies and periodicals, because it'd be overkill). Speaking of murder (was I?) I killed 'The Island Archive' blog, too. Mostly because it was pointless, but also because I just couldn't be bothered. One blog's enough, really ;)

Love you!